All are welcome in this place!

Give now to support the ministries of St. Paul. Thank you!

St. Paul Lutheran Church
311 Marlboro Street
Hamlet, NC 28345
910-582-0729
[email protected]

The History

The first Lutheran service in Richmond County was held at the First Presbyterian Church in Rockingham on Mach 9, 1941. The service was led by The Rev. Claude V. Deal, pastor of St. Luke’s Lutheran Church in Monroe, NC. Not long after the first services, Pastor Deal accepted a new call.

In June 1941, The Rev. Frank K. Efird led services on the first and third Sundays, alternating between Hamlet and Rockingham.

The congregation held it’s pre-organization meeting on December 7, 1941. Dr. Jacob L. Morgan, President of the North Carolina Lutheran Synod opened the meeting with prayer. At this meeting, two names were considered for the congregation: Holy Trinity and St. Paul’s. The vote was 21 to 11 for St. Paul’s which was then declared the official name of the congregation.

St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Chruch, was officially organized as a congregation in the United Lutheran Church in America, on December 14, 1941 with 51 charter members. Services were held bi-monthly at the First Presbyterian Church, in Hamlet.

The site for the congregation was purchased in February 1942. The congregation purchased its first parsonage at 308 Marlboro Street in preparation for their first called pastor, The Rev. Roscoe B. Fisher. The Women’s Missionary Society was organized that same month with 15 members.

A request was made to the War Production Board on September 1, 1942 and permission was granted on October 17, 1942 to construct a church building. F.W. Wagnor and Sons of Salisbury, NC received the building contract in November 1942. The groundbreaking was held on the 16th of the month and construction was completed on May 23, 1943.

The first service was held two days later in the Sunday School assembly area with 59 present. The Sunday School was organized on May 23, 1943 with a beginning enrollment of 59. On July 25, 1943 the cornerstone was laid and the service was held in the main sanctuary. The Luther League organized on August 8, 1943 with 18 members. Eucharist was first celebrated on October 3, 1943 with 61 communing. On November 5, 1943 the Lutheran Brotherhood was organized with 13 members.

Pastor Fisher ended his ministry on March 1, 1944, when he accepted a call to serve St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church in Lenior, NC. Pastor Rufus Cutherbertson began his ministry at St. Paul in May 1944 after graduating from Lutheran Southern Seminary. A dedication service was held on December 17, 1944.

In 1964, St. Paul adopted a new constitution becoming part of the NC Synod of the Lutheran Church in America. The name of the congregation was changed to St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church.

We thank the Lord for the witness and service provided by the following pastors who have served St. Paul over the years.

  •   1941-1941 Claude V. Deal 
  •   1941-1942 Frank K. Efird 
  •   1942-1944 Roscoe Fisher 
  •   1944-1948 Rufus B. Cuthbertson
  •   1948-1952 C. Marion Starr
  •   1953-1958 H.P. Wyrick 
  •   1958-1959 Charles Ridenhour, Supply 
  •   1959-1963 Paul Beatty
  •   dates unknown) E.R. Lineberger (Vice Pastor)
  •   1964-1967 Ralph Wallace
  •   1968-1969 Levaughn Keisler 
  •   1970-1971 Paul Hamsher 
  •   1971-1977 Clyde Haas
  •   1977-1978 John D. Barringer (interim)
  •   1978-1983 David Vaughn
  •   1984-1984 Roy Trexler
  •   1984-1989 William Haskell
  •   1990-1995 William E. Jeffcoat
  •   1996-1998 Jonathan C Gantt
  •   1998-2000 Robert E Land
  •   2001-2004 Vickie Powell  
  •   2004 – 2020 John C. Pfisterer
  • 2020 – present Pam Northrup

Renovations have been done throughout the years to improve the church. A new Rodgers organ was installed and dedicated on June 19, 1969. Two pianos were received as well as gifts of chimes and carillon bells.

In 2002, an elevator was installed making all floors of the church building accessible to all. An audio-visual system was installed in 2007 to provide tapes of our service to members of the congregation who are unable to attend. The system also helped persons with hearing loss to fully participate in the worship services. These two projects reflect our desire to allow everyone to fully share in the life of the congregation. 

The maintenance and upkeep of the building and grounds of St. Paul is a testimony to our stewardship of gifts bequeathed to us by those who have gone before us. The grounds of the church are a living testament to the Glory of God, nurtured and cared for by many members. They add beauty to our community and along with our red front doors are a living symbol of St. Paul Lutheran Church. 

The members of St. Paul know that their mission is to serve in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. This service, a hallmark of our life together, defines us as people of faith in this community. Though the congregation may be smaller in number, we believe that good things happen through us—in this community, in this state, in this country, and around the world.  

To God be the Glory!

You are welcome here!

Sunday Worship is held in person in the sanctuary and on Facebook Live

11:00 am

https://www.facebook.com/

stpaullutheranhamlet/live/

Visit our YouTube Channel!

For services prior to March 2021, watch recorded worship services, Bible studies, and other videos from the congregation. Be sure to subscribe so you can be notified about new content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/

UCQb2u9w4_4SXdwFZ90BxfiQ

Calendar

June 2024

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1
2
  • Sunday worship
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
  • Sunday worship
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
  • Sunday worship
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
  • Sunday worship
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
  • Sunday worship